We have started sending regular e-newsletters to connect with parents about updates and resources to help support you and your student in the post-secondary planning process.
Subscribe to the email list today!
Parents as Education and Career Coaches
We are in the process of finalizing the dates and times the schedules for Fall 2020 into Spring 2021. We will provide updates when available.
*Please note that each session is only open to the parents of the corresponding school districts. Dates are subject to change.
To register, please reach out to your District Parent Advisory Council or District Career Counsellor.
Many institutions offer parent orientation sessions designed to help you support your child with post-secondary planning, the application process, and ongoing success - check one out!
Parents Can Help
- Do brainstorm ideas and questions about program options.
- Don't do the research required to learn about program options.
- Do offer encouragement through the application process
- Don't complete the application for them.
- Do discuss plans for financing their education.
- Don't prepare their budget or application for funding.
- Do brainstorm questions in advance of an advising appointment.
- Don't attend the advising appointment.
- Do discuss course registration and selection.
- Don't register for them.
- Do offer advice about how to approach an instructor or professor concerning a specific issue.
- Don't contact the instructor or professor directly.
- Do offer encouragement about their course work.
- Don't call them several times a day reminding them to do their course work.
- Do offer encouragement or feedback on their essays.
- Don't write parts of their entire essay.
- Do discuss their progress.
- Don't go online or go to campus to try to get their grades for them.
See Transitioning from High School for more help.