1) Program Admission Requirements
1. Completion of an undergraduate degree from an accredited university, including the following:
- at least a C+ average on your most recent 12-unit session (or if your most recent session is less than 12 units on the most recent 12 consecutive units)
- at least a C+ average on your most recently completed 30 units (up to December 31)
- three units of approved English
- demonstrated competency in written English
- three units of approved Canadian Studies
- three units of approved Math (at least a C+ average, completed within the last 10 years)
- three units of approved laboratory science (completed within the last 10 years)
- The above courses can be completed in another Faculty at UVic or at another post-secondary institution
- At UVIC, the value of courses is given in units. Most courses at UVic that run for one term count for 1.5 units per course. For example, 3 UVIC units are equivalent to two (half-year) courses or 6 credits at most BC colleges and universities.
- a minimum of 75 hours of practical experience working with groups of children or youth at the age level you wish to teach (ages 5 - 12 for elementary)
- statement of intent (400-500 words, typed)
- resume of related experience
- two reference letters
Note: click to see application instructions
1. If you are missing any of the admission requirements, you may take them at UVic as a pre-education student.
2. It's strongly recommended that you contact a Faculty of Education academic advisor for assistance with navigating the admission requirements.
2) Institution Admission Requirements
Applicants also have to satisfy UVic's institution admission requirements as listed below.
English Language Requirements
One of the following (minimum scores):
- Four years of full-time academic studies or completion of a degree program at a recognized institution in which the primary language of instruction is English (click here for a list of countries)
- 86% the BC Provincial English 12 Examination within the last three years prior to admission
- 86% on Grade 12 English or its equivalent in Canada within the last three years prior to admission
- A score of 4 on the Advanced Placement Exam in English Language and Composition
- A score of 4 on IB Higher Level English
- 1.5 units of transferable university-level English courses
- CAEL (Canadian Academic English Language Assessment) = score of 70 overall, with no section less than 60
- IELTS = score of 6.5 overall, with no component less than 6.0
- LPI (Language Proficiency Index) = Level 6
- MELAB (Michigan English Language Assessment Battery) = score of 90
- TOEFL iBT = score of 90 with no section less than 20
- TOEFL paper-based = 575
- completion of UVic's University Admission Preparation (UAP) program, with a score of 80% or higher
- completion of UVic;s University Admission Preparation: Advanced English and Canadian Studies program, with at least 80% in English and at least 60% in Canadian Studies
- completion of UVic's University Pathways Program for International Students (a specialized first-year university program that combines academic Enlish and UVic credit courses)
Verify with the institution directly
General Admission Requirements (All Students)
For students directly entering an undergraduate program after high school, admission is based on four academic courses.
English Language Requirement - You must have proficiency in English at a level suitable for your desired program.
BC Secondary School (or equivalent)
BC Transfer Student
Information on admission requirements for BC post-secondary transfer students can be found here.
Out-of-Province Transfer Student
Information on admission requirements for transfer students can be found on this page by selecting 'transferring from another college or university' and select the type of institution you are transferring from.
Mature Student admission at UVic is categorized as Special Access Category
The number of applicants admitted under this category is limited by the availability of University resources. Admission under the Special Category is not automatic. An applicant for admission under the Special Category must meet the following criteria:
- be at least 23 years of age by the begining of the session applied for; and
- the applicant's academic achievements have been significantly and adversely affected by health, disability or family or similar responsibilities.
Candidates for admission in the Special admission category are selected on the basis of:
- applicant's educational history
- non-educational achievemnts that indicate an ability to succeed at university.
For detailed info, verify directly with the school.
Information for international student applicants can be found here
Other Student (including Special Consideration)