1) Program Admission Requirements
1. Students will have usually completed 30 units of 1st and 2nd year coursework at UVic or another recognized post-secondary institution, at the point of admission to this program.
- Those who have completed at least 12 units of course work may apply to enter the program in second year for ON CAMPUS studies only;
- Students who have completed 27 or more units may apply to enter the program in third year for ONLINE studies.
2. a minimum of 'B-' grade point average (GPA) on the most recent 12 units
3. Meet UVic's Academic Writing Requirement
4. Completion of Pre-Calculus 11 or Foundations of Math 12 or equivalent is strongly recommended.
- submit a personal statement of intent (double-spaced on a 12 point fonts, maximum two pages)
- submit a resume of work and volunteer experience (maximum three pages)
See program website
1. Click to view admission and application guidelines (pdf) for the Program.
2. For complete program details, visit the School of Public Health and Social Policy's website (see 'Program Overview' and 'Steps to Apply').
2) Institution Admission Requirements
Applicants also have to satisfy UVic's institution admission requirements as listed below.
English Language Requirements
One of the following (minimum scores):
- Four years of full-time academic studies or completion of a degree program at a recognized institution in which the primary language of instruction is English (click here for a list of countries)
- 86% the BC Provincial English 12 Examination within the last three years prior to admission
- 86% on Grade 12 English or its equivalent in Canada within the last three years prior to admission
- A score of 4 on the Advanced Placement Exam in English Language and Composition
- A score of 4 on IB Higher Level English
- 1.5 units of transferable university-level English courses
- CAEL (Canadian Academic English Language Assessment) = score of 70 overall, with no section less than 60
- IELTS = score of 6.5 overall, with no component less than 6.0
- LPI (Language Proficiency Index) = Level 6
- MELAB (Michigan English Language Assessment Battery) = score of 90
- TOEFL iBT = score of 90 with no section less than 20
- TOEFL paper-based = 575
- completion of UVic's University Admission Preparation (UAP) program, with a score of 80% or higher
- completion of UVic;s University Admission Preparation: Advanced English and Canadian Studies program, with at least 80% in English and at least 60% in Canadian Studies
- completion of UVic's University Pathways Program for International Students (a specialized first-year university program that combines academic Enlish and UVic credit courses)
Verify with the institution directly
General Admission Requirements (All Students)
For students directly entering an undergraduate program after high school, admission is based on four academic courses.
English Language Requirement - You must have proficiency in English at a level suitable for your desired program.
BC Secondary School (or equivalent)
BC Transfer Student
Information on admission requirements for BC post-secondary transfer students can be found here.
Out-of-Province Transfer Student
Information on admission requirements for transfer students can be found on this page by selecting 'transferring from another college or university' and select the type of institution you are transferring from.
Mature Student admission at UVic is categorized as Special Access Category
The number of applicants admitted under this category is limited by the availability of University resources. Admission under the Special Category is not automatic. An applicant for admission under the Special Category must meet the following criteria:
- be at least 23 years of age by the begining of the session applied for; and
- the applicant's academic achievements have been significantly and adversely affected by health, disability or family or similar responsibilities.
Candidates for admission in the Special admission category are selected on the basis of:
- applicant's educational history
- non-educational achievemnts that indicate an ability to succeed at university.
For detailed info, verify directly with the school.
Information for international student applicants can be found here
Other Student (including Special Consideration)