The BC public post-secondary sector and government are working together to develop an online system that will consolidate existing government-supported advisory and application resources for students, making it easier to plan, search, and apply for post-secondary education in BC.
Who is Involved
The EducationPlannerBC Steering Committee and working Groups are made up of representatives from BC public post-secondary institutions, including Registrars, Provosts, Vice Presidents Student Affairs, and Chief Information Officers. Representatives from a large variety of the 25 BC public post-secondary institutions have been involved in the initial development and planning, and will be involved in varying degrees moving forward.
The Steering Committee and Working Groups are supported by members of the BC Council on Admissions and Transfer, BCcampus, and the Ministry of Advanced Education.
What are we Trying to Achieve?
- Students will explore potential career pathways and the variety of post-secondary opportunities available in BC to help them achieve their personal goals.
- Students will use a single online resource to easily and conveniently apply to BC post-secondary institutions.
- Post-secondary institutions and government will access system-wide data regarding the usage of educational/career planning information and applicant behaviour to inform policy decisions.
What has Already Happened?
- Developed and implemented an interim governance structure and strategic framework
- Established Policy, Governance and Technology Working Groups (made up of representatives from across the 25 public post - secondary institutions)
- Launched policy consultations to gather input from across the public post-secondary sector to inform planning and decision making
- Implemented initial system changes - EducationPlanner and ApplyBC were integrated in to the new EducationPlannerBC.ca website.
What is happening next?
In early 2017, further changes will be introduced to EducationPlannerBC.ca . They include:
- Expanding existing application services: ensuring application questions can capture text answers to program specific questions, providing more specific program information and adding the ability upload documents with application forms.
- Increasing community visibility: improving the ability for students to search by community and creating more visible links to existing community information sites.
- Making additional improvements: continuing to enhance the overall user experience of the site.
What else is happening?
- Consultations will be held with the public post-secondary sector to inform policy, governance and technology decisions
- A Business Case will be developed to guide further activities.
- A new long term governance structure will be developed to operate the system.
Want more information?
If you have any questions about EducationPlannerBC, please feel free to contact us.